View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Pina
Starter Motor

Default Servicing schedule

Greetings All!
We have a MB Zetec wagon 2009 model, which we purchased 2nd hand 3 years ago. In a nutshell, I am delighted with this vehicle. Current speedo is 74,500 km and we do about 7,000 km each year (retirees). Yesterday's 90,000 km service (I have an annual service performed at the regional Ford service centre)caused me some concern, which I will now explain.

When I booked the service my quote was $290 - their capped price (included in that is the annual RACQ fee which is refunded once I have paid my RACQ membership). I have been a member of RACQ for 40 years and I have no idea why Ford have tacked this extra charge onto their service even if there is a refund.
So, on arrival, I am told by the servuce rep that the coolant and brake fluid are due to be replaced at the 90,000 km service. OK, so how much will that cost? The reply of $230 on top of the $290 standard service was a shock. The rep then asked if I would like to have it done this time, but budgeting on only the quoted $290, I declined. At the time I thought to myself...surely the coolant and brake fluid could be checked and topped if necessary at the standard $290 service. Once home I checked the manual schedule and saw nothing in it to suggest that replacing the coolant and brake fluid was due at 90,000 km (remember that I've servicing at 74,500 km).

I am not sure if the service rep was trying to wangle more dollars out of me or if he was legitimate. Of course now I'm worried that because this was not done, and (heaven forbid) this will affect the car's perfect operation.

After dealing with the Ford dealership's service division for over 25 years, I am now considering taking my car to the Toyota dealer. I feel that the former are becoming too greedy. Does anyone agree with this?

When I asked how much it would cost to replace a battery in the spare key, the, $70 reply also surprised. Our local Mr Minit quoted me around $25. Should I let Mr Minit do this?

Finally where to most Mondeo owners have their vehicles serviced...at Ford or elsewhere?

Many thanks for your input.
Cheers,
Pina
Pina is offline   Reply With Quote