View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #38
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Making a 6 cyl cross flow sound like a v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Alright, it is not just a matter of a couple vids. Need to start out with some pictures and commentary. It will be a couple posts or three or four or maybe more.

You may already be aware, but up front, something I want to make sure is clear for everyone is a separation of terms.

Cross flow vs port configuration/layout.

What makes the cross flow make the sweet 6 cylinder song vs a rumble is not the fact air/fuel come in one side and the exhaust goes out the other. Rather how the exhaust ports are configured, i.e. their physical layout, regardless of what side of the head they are on, relative to the intake ports is more significant.

I'll lay out a few Ford 250 cylinder heads and an Austin Healey 3000 head right here.

In this pic, we see 2 versions of a 250 cylinder head. The bottom has the old log style intake and #3 and #4 exhaust ports siamesed. The top is a modern alloy replacement where the #3 and #4 exhaust ports are no longer siamesed.

In this 1st pic, pay careful attention to the bolt pattern around the siamesed #3 and #4 port opening.

Now I have a series of 3 pics showing a 250 2V head going through a conversion to separate the center siamesed center exhaust ports.

Again, I ask you the pay attention to the bolt pattern.

Now an Austin Healey 3000 head port layout.

Give you a chance to study that a little then I'll add some thoughts, and you or anyone else can ask questions along the way.
Yes there is a cast iron peace that you can just shove in that stupid dual port that I have seen and sure it is what would change the note.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: