View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #66
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 
Default Re: Photobucket... WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
The photo you upload to Photobucket that you then link to a thread here has its file name changed by Photobucket in the direct link with an extension added to the filename.

For example a photo I upload with the filename "diff-3.jpg" then gets changed by Photobucket to "diff-3_zpsrtbtdeie.jpg"....
After checking it out on PB, this doesn't seem to be the case for my photos... Perhaps accounts differ from one to the other in some fashion?

In my case:

- All jpeg files that I have uploaded to PB have retained the original xxx.jpg file name
- When I downloaded copies of the lot just recently, they also retained the original names.
- The jpeg file name appears to be the same in each direct link as well, apart from jpeg file names that include a space.
In these cases, the space is replaced with the characters '%20',
Eg. ... i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/sneak880/General%20Stuff/white%20AU.jpg
Note that the space in the album name is also replaced with the '%20' characters.

In the case of a prospective upload to the AFF server, a batch editing procedure for image links may need to decypher
whatever appears after the final slash in the direct link line. If the file names don't quite match exactly due to some added junk
characters from PB? This may not be possible? Or, in my case, the AFF image link line could simply use the same '%20' character
for a 'space' without editing the final element in the link?

Given that the jpeg file names are recognisable, I would consider doing the link edits myself for my build threads if the AFF image server
gets up and running and I can access an edit function to my own threads for a period of time. My main build thread is
only 18 pages, so it's doable in a 'manual edit' type fashion. A different task however for those with a thread of 50 or 100 pages!

Images (hosted by PB) that I have posted here and there on AFF, in all sorts of areas on the forum could not really be tracked
and links replaced manually. Perhaps Russ and the AFF crew has a robot method for this type of editing, forum wide?
That task is a mountain indeed, but then computers are fast with the right driver.

In regards to new image hosting options, I am only considering AFF at this stage. The prospect of moving to another US based host
service seems just too unreliable.

Last edited by EB#; 03-07-2017 at 07:23 AM.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: