View Single Post
Old 26-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: A Great Time To Be A Driving Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I would argue the last of the Enthusiasts drove the cars before Traction Control & ABS ect.
A lot of the cars on the road today are way more sedate than they would be otherwise if you took out all the driver assist stuff.
Agreed, infact i'd go as far as to say I feel sorry for the current breed who have never experienced what it was like to drive a real car without modern aids keeping it all together.
Was down the beach on xmas eve and my youngest lad was mesmerised by the old school cruisers getting about with authentic V8 and associated soundtrack and he said how cool it would be to be able to own or even drive such vehicle, I told him it was as that's what we drove when I was first starting out.
Before gizmo's were manufacturers key selling points and 5 star ANCAP's were the buzz words I would laugh at all the emphasis on owning a vehicle with 5 stars. When I got my licence i hoped the seatbelt in my TE Cortina would do the job if called upon and that the collapsible steering column would give in before my rib cage. Up to that point it was all throttle and brake modulation with a little steering input on my behalf, all from the edge of the seat to avoid the need to test said seatbelt.
Now you just plant your foot and traction control prevents a burnout, DSC keeps it all neat and tidy and should you need to bail for some reason you just mash the brake peddle and ABS brings it all to a gentle halt saving you from the experience of Auto Zorbing, you know, that feeling of anything up to a dozen airbags leaving you a boy in a bubble.

Ahh, the good old days...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote