View Single Post
Old 26-12-2016, 02:38 AM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: A Great Time To Be A Driving Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I would argue the last of the Enthusiasts drove the cars before Traction Control & ABS ect.
A lot of the cars on the road today are way more sedate than they would be otherwise if you took out all the driver assist stuff.
The dad of a good mate of mine got taken for a track day in a Ferrari f40 back in the day (I think it was in the late 90's or just after the f50 was released and I dunno when that was) but he had an awsome day in a super car that you had to change your own gears and drive yourself. Traction control was a balance of clutch and accelerator, no abs, and stability control was 13 inch wide rear wheels. These days you get all the fancy driver aids in a new car under 20 grand, and they all don't have the ability to kill you going anywhere as fast on a straight or in a corner. But to an extent, as cars try not to kill you more and more everyday, people are starting to lack the car control of when they did. Pull a new p plater out of a yarris and throw them in a v8 torana and watch the smile going in a straight line at an average pace turn into a look of horror when it either oversteers into oncoming traffic or understeers into a tree on the first corner when either the fronts lock up under hard braking or dsc doesn't kick in because it didn't exist in the 70s
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: