View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #195
Au_barra

Default Re: BA motor into a AU

sorry to bring up a old thread but I just signed up to get some info about the au - barra conversion.

I have a au which I have the engine out and got a ba motor sitting there waiting to go in, just wanted to know what the guys did with the cam sensor stuff? did anyone cut off any of the teeth on the back of the cam? or was the rough running that FTG had just caused by the cams being out since not having the vct hooked up?

I had some spare cam sprockets that I have pulled apart and measured up, this is what i have found

the sprockets have about 30deg of movement.
with engine off there is a spring in the sprockets that pull the cams to max advance and a pin locks in place(pin is lifted up the oil pressure which allows the cams to then move)
theres is 41 teeth so each tooth is 8.8 deg

so if the cams are sitting at 15deg advance when the phasers are not hooked up then that might be causing the rought idle that was happening.

if the spocket is moved 1 tooth on the timing chain it brings the cams to about 6deg advanced and 2 teeth brings the cams to 2.5deg retarded. also the spockets could be fixed somehow with some devcon or shims between the paddles to keep them central

I will be pulling the au engine apart to have a look at the setup of the cam sensor and what trigger it has to work out what I need to do with the ba cam triggers.

If anyone is interested I have been taking pictures along the way and can do a bit of a write up of what needs to be done.

so far is has cost me $500 for the car and $220 for the engine from the wreckers, engine came minus the injectors and throttle body(perfect since au injectors and tb is used) and didnt have ps pump but i had one laying around already.

here is a pic of the cam sprocket inside

Au_barra is offline   Reply With Quote