View Single Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #188
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: BA motor into a AU

you'll find he just din't want to do it! the BA has basically the same bottom end as the AU and from my gtaxi days I know the BA goes harder than the AU because of the twin cam VCT to get the most out of this swap you would need to sort the VCT issues out . thats the only thing holding me back at the moment. once someone solves this i'll do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift66
I don't want to put anyone of attempting this conversion at all, but just wanted to throw this into the mix and hopefully get others opinions too.

I spoke to my local mechanic today, who is a good friend and does the after hours kinda jobs for me. I asked him If/When and $$?? to fit a stocko BA motor into my AU and his reply was immediately "don't Do It!!".
When I asked why, he told me that the BAs do have a good motor yes, but rev ranges are different and the stock BA motor was guttless in comparisson to the stock AU motor. He own a stock BA XT Ute and offered me the test drive in it.

He told me to stick with my current motor [cause she's damn strong] and that he'll bolt up a Turbo onto it for me. He gave me this phenominally cheap quote to fit the Turbo onto my AU and I was like OO OO OOHHH!!

He reckons that with a good tune, a piggy back and a couple of other small add ons that we could turn my current motor into quite a monster from stock.

As I said, I really don't wanna put anyone off attempting this conversion and am merely seeking others advice/opinions regarding my latest conversation with my Mech, as he's really thrown a spanner in my works now

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote