View Single Post
Old 22-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #58
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: Considering a Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich View Post
I’ve had a few over the years and unless you’re driving almost exclusively on the freeway I wouldn’t recommend a diesel. While the V6 is torquey it’s extremely laggy, noisey, smelly and expels plumes of soot. Petrol RWD is the way to go if most of your driving is stop/start or around town.

If you absolutely must have a diesel try to find a SZII as the lag in these is not as bad as the SZI.

For the record I’ve had a SYII petrol TS, SZI diesel TS, SZII diesel TS and currently have a SZII petrol Titanium for the wife..
Having owned one SZ diesel doesn't mean all SZ diesels drive the same way. Mines not noisy at all inside the car, its got quite a pleasant subdued sound actually, which is only mainly heard when accelerating at lower speeds.

Regarding the smells. A good friend of mine was recently looking at a 2011 diesel Territory to buy, after a test drive was asking me questions about it including that he found it smelly. I suggested to find something newer and a petrol version which would suit their usage better. They ended up with a SZII petrol TX which they are very happy with. A couple of weeks later I drove him in my diesel Territory (2013 SZ Titanium), he remarked that he could not smell anything and that the car he was looking at must have had something wrong with it.

And regarding the lag thing, as prydey says its easy to drive around the issue. As I mentioned in my earlier post, mine responds instantaneously to the pedal.
This user likes this post: