Thread: Fence price
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #37
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Fence price

Been in discussions with my neighbor. She has got 3 more quotes. All around 4k plus or minus a bit. To knock a bit of that down she knows 2 people interested in the old untreated wood, aparently its hardwood. So now she is just seeing who is keener and will take it down for the wood. Worst case her son, the bloke who rents my granny flat and myself should be able to get it down in a couple of hours. Half the work is already done as its falling down anyways. Atleast my neighbor is on the same page as me when i say the cheapest quote isnt always the best. And also the most expensive can often be a contractor who priced high to not get the job because theyre busy and dont want the job, or simply just dodgy bastards attempting a cash grab. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, but word of mouth is what i find the best way. With the cheap quotes, same thing. Maybe its a start up company who need the work and want the word of mouth recomendations, but the risk of cheap and nasty is still there. One trick we use at work to keep wholesalers honest is email a quote request to more then 1 supplier and make it obvious, create some competition. In the same token clients often do the same to us to keep things honest. One other thing is clients often, and i dont think this is completely ethical, send my work competitors quotes and are looking for us to undercut them. If we simply cant because we tend not to cheap out on materials, we say our price but we cant beat that. And when the job done isnt up to scratch, dont rubbish anybody, but wait for the callouts to fix it. So yes the client loses out in the long run, but its their choice on the original quote. I dont want to be that guy.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote