View Single Post
Old 25-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #83
paulo7

Default Re: MORE HORSEPOWER, BETTER MILAGE, HIGHER TOP SPEED!! (well...sort of)

Man, WOW!!!!!

Oh Man!!!! If only I could swear in here, from the shock, surprise, the wow!

I simply put a little thought, an idea, on the forum, go to work, come home late, walk in and calmly turn on the desktop, and BAM! Another 2 and a bit pages of posts!!!!! phew!!!!!!!!! Just WOW!!!!!!

Thank heavens I didn't want to do anything radical...

Ok so, I wonder what Geelong Festy thinks of all this???

Lets get to it: As far as I know, Ford has never advertised the Econetic's undertray as a fuel saving device for other variants like CL, LX and Zetec. It is as you've all said, part of the Econetic's package.

I am just one of those slightly nutty people who would like to do something to my car that could possibly, possibly, reduce FC. Full Stop, End of Story.

So, I've turned it into a little project, and have started to make inquiries, and have learned a little about the machinations of a motor car company that merely confirms some of the heresay.
I called into the spare parts office on the way to work (coz Ford head office didn't know and didn't want to really really help... like, of course)(duh) and the guy there said exactly what CRF and Polyal and to some extent (hold ya breath) Fiesta Man69 has been saying.

In a few points he said:

1. They don't know
2. It is possibly/probably a marketing thing that only the Econetic has it fitted, and...
3. "if they can save 10c they will" hence savings on the other models
4. if it works on the Econetic then it should work on the other models, coz the air has to go through the radiator so if one fits a tray then you are probably not doing any harm. ie, shouldn't over heat or over cool the motor.
and wait for it... could possibly protect the oil filter as its the lowest thing in the front and has been damaged on some unfortunate person's cars and blown their motors! So I learned something extra...

Can I afford to blow 120-130 bucks? yes I can
Do I want to yet? am waiting for some more info
from an insider in the UK
will I do it? not sure yet, but am bl@#dy tempted!!
Can I afford a carbon fibre bonnet, full suspension and turbo etc etc
Nah, not really interested.
Call me qerky, or whatever but I Just wanted to know, because its possible.
And lastly, thanks guys for your input and support.
will keep you posted
paulo7 is offline   Reply With Quote