View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #21
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Ok I'm working on the text for my how-to and there's one section I'm not happy with, about moving the ECU. I did do some searching but couldn't find anything. I would appreciate any input or links to make this section more ... convincing. Here is my draft:

The passenger door is virtually identical. The difference is that to gain access to the loom connector inside the pillar, you need to move the ECU out of the way. (Disconnect the battery if you haven't already.) I know there are at least two different brackets for these. If you have the narrow strap type held by a screw, you're lucky. Mine was a large affair, designed to foul the dash when you try to swing it aside. But first you have to get it open. I was lucky in that my LPG fitter had already butchered mine so I just had to undo a screw. I'm guessing it had two of those nasty big rivets like the doors. Looks like a job for Mr Angle Grinder, some damp rags and a LOT of care. If someone has a better way please speak up. Once you have the fasteners off, you have to swing the bracket away. If it fouls the dash like mine, be advised that no amount of wriggling and swearing helped, and it was brute force that won the day. Then you can wriggle the ECU out a bit and undo the screw at the inner bottom of the bracket. Then you have SOME chance of lifting the bracket 'door' off it's hinges. Then you can pull the ECU away to the right and the body of the bracket should lift up and away from the pillar. Then it will be very easy to see the door loom connector directly above. Once you have that bracket out, "off with its head!" [PIC]

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote