View Single Post
Old 24-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #45
leesa

Default Re: My time as a Ford Master Tech is at an end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
A mechanic will do the job regardless of what the car is. It still gets done properly. Instead of say a clapped out EA Falcon that has come in for a oil change just to keep it running.

It's no different to any trade. Do you think electricians or plumbers like working in derelict houses and spend extra time going beyond what is required of them there? Unlikely.
I guess it comes down to what is determined to be the bare minimum and whether it is being met on these 'clapped out' cars or not, but in my experience, it's not being met by mechanics OR tradies. "Doing the job" and "doing the job right" are two different things.

I've used mechanics only a few times (as my family is full of mechanics, but I hate to feel like a freeloader) and every time they've ****ed up my car. One time I got an LPG conversion done and they drilled straight into the intake while it was still on the engine. I know they did this because they didn't bother to blow away the swarf that dropped below each hole they drilled. (Thank you TorqueGas, you ****s).
When the system stopped working 6 months later and I took it back for them to look at, they must have left their tools around the grill when they dropped the bonnet as the plastic was all smashed up when I got the car back.

The one time I finally agreed to a wheel alignment (from a tyre mob) I had to hold the wheel way off kilter just to drive straight out their driveway but I wasn't likely to take it back to their shop to fix. If they were competent, or interested in "doing the job right", it wouldn't have happened in the first place. That was enough for me, now I learn to do whatever I need to do and if I **** up my own car I only have myself to blame and I'm okay with that. At least I'll take the time to try and do it right but as a consumer we can't trust anyone else to feel that way about our clapped-out cars.

Anyway, that's just turned into a massive rant because now I'm all cranky but that wasn't my initial intention. Top Ghia should have every right to complain about whatever they see fit.

Last edited by leesa; 24-10-2017 at 05:18 PM.
This user likes this post: