Thread: Wet Carpet
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
msford

Default Re: Wet Carpet

Hi, and help (if possible)

I read this thread last week as I had some leaking issues at the driver's side compartment. The carpet at my feet was damp and there has been a foul smell in the car for quite a while (but I didn't do anything about it), plus I noticed the interior fogging up in the evenings and mornings (almost frozen on some of these more recent cold mornings in Melbourne).

So I deduced, even hoped, that my problem was the ac drain leaking, as described in this thread and as I had found in other online searches.

I had a Ford service done today and asked them to check out the leak and, hopefully, implement a quick fix by unblocking it for me.

However they have come back with a report that the thermostat is leaking and the line to it. Replacement cost $935. My whole car probably only costs $10k if I tried to sell it.

I guess my question is, should I get another opinion and where would I get that other opinion from? It cost me $176 for them to diagnose this problem (plus a door issue I am having, which will cost another $1290 if I want that fixed).

Crikeys! $2300 repairs for a $10k car. By the time I add rego and insurance I could Uber for less, I reckon.

But that's just a vent. My main query, if anyone can advise me, is whether I accept that it's the thermostat and line to it or I can/should get another opinion on whether it is the ac drain, instead, and a much cheaper and simpler fix.

I need the car in about two weeks for an interstate drive so I have to make a decision soon.

Cheers and thanks in advance.
msford is offline   Reply With Quote