View Single Post
Old 15-09-2018, 04:47 AM   #3412
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: All things Solar (merged threads)

Hi,
I had 24 panels and a 5kw single phase inverter installed yesterday.
I figured doing this while the rebate scheme is still as high as it is.

I read many reviews of 'top 10 installers' in Perth, and selected one of the closest ones to my area.

Two young guys turned up an hour later than agreed, and rushed on with the install job. The guy on the roof ran around up there, placing brackets about every 15 seconds, (without concern if the brackets were straight or not) The guys bounced around on my BlueScope Zincalume Custom Orb roof sheeting without paying attention to where the beams were.

They smashed one of the panels when taking it out of their van, and had to run back to their workshop for another panel, but got the system completed and running after 4 hours. I asked if they were doing another install that day, but they confirmed 'No, that's all for today'.

I could see visual dents and creases to some of my roof sheeting before I signed the completion form, so I made a note on their install form that roof had been damaged during the install.

I called the company and explained I wasn't satisfied with having my roof damaged, and some manager or supervisor was rather dismissive on the phone, claiming it was unavoidable to make some dents in tin roofs, and that dents will go away over time. I disagreed with that, and ended the conversation, saying I will think about it and get back to him.
I held back $500 when paying the invoice, and sent some photos of dents to the to the phone of the guy that had called me back.
Within minutes I got a long text message reply explaining that he had installed systems for 8 years, and that damages to tin-roofs are 'self-healing' when the sun shines on them. (heat will remove the damages)...

This morning I called BlueScope tech support, and they confirmed that the '
Custom Orb' sheeting should not be walked on other than near the supports where the screws are. They further confirm that dents will of course not go away by themselves, and that the only real way of repairing creases and dents is to replace with new sheets, which by the way will 'stand out' from the other sheets for years, or never look exactly the same due to age difference.

After the Bluescope steel support chat, I copied the silly and pushy text message from the solar company into an email, and explaining in the email what I had been told by Bluescope steel, and asking what the solar company will do as a remedy?

The day before when I spoke to the guy he was not making apologies, but suggested he could send someone to push out the dents from below, from my roof space. That will of course not fix it properly.

It is a shame that solar companies operate like this. I selected one from the 'Top 10 list' that I found on a website. If this doesn't have a very pleasant outcome, I intend to leave product reviews to reflect my true experiences.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: