Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #57
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
50,000kms Gecko? Jebus!!

My Sora set has done just north of 6,200kms still going fine.

I have no doubt that the high end stuff has it's advantages but for someone only JUST getting in to cycling there's no point.

Exactly the same as camera gear. Yes a $2,600 camera body takes a meaty dump on a entry level $800, but for a beginner photographer it's not worth it.

At the height of my road racing 6,000 kms was only about 6-8 weeks of riding for me. Training for Ironman (my present group set has done 2) I was clocking up those sort of k's in under 12 weeks.

You are very right at entry level riders but sometimes it is a good idea to carefully consider just how far you intend to take it. If you only plan on doing up to 100 km's a week and no more, Sora is ok. If you think it may go beyond that then I would suggest 105 at least. Buying a $800 bike and then getting rid of it after 1 yr for a $1800 bike is more expensive than spending $1800 initially and getting 4 years or more use out of it.

My last frame gave me 7 years of service, I only replaced it because I found a Merckx. I will eventually build the old frame back up as a time trial bike, the components are still going as they are now on the Merckx.