View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #20
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Went for a ride in an FGX XR6T ute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnz_xr8 View Post
My brother works for a ford dealer, one day he turned up in a FGX xr6 sedan injected gas curtesy car, I asked and he gave me the keys for a test drive, I was absolutely impressed by the power of it , it was a rocket of a thing, It would give a stock auto BA-BF xr6t a run for its money that's for sure, which is pretty amazing it being a naturally aspirated LPG version of the same engine.
I've had my LPi since new - got it when they first came out in Sept 2011 (had to wait 9 months for it). A number of people I took out in it thought it was a V8, purely from the power. When I had an American colleague visit, he fell in love with my FG - and when I told him about the turbos, he wanted to see if an FG could be converted to LHD.

They are a great car, and many people simply didn't get to experience them because of badge snobbery, bias against large cars, and lack or marketig from Ford. When I drove the demo LPi in June 2011 to assess it for work, it was plastered up the side with "cheaper at the pump than a Toyota Corolla" - and it is.

I get better value out of it than a diesel Mondeo - in true dollar terms. I even did a return trip from Sydney to Melbourne with a Prius, and the LPI was $16 cheaper in fuel for the trip than the Prius. I chose it because of the economy for commuting, the size (ever since I survived a huge head-on in a BA, I've been averse to small cars), and the ability to tow a loaded car trailer comfortably.

I would have had a turbo, except for the 125 odd km I do each day. In the next 2 years the company will be forced to move, so if they come closer to home by 1/2 way or better, I can then justify the commuting cost, and would love to find a clean FG-X G6ET.

But it's amazing to think that the power & torque levels from an LPG 4.0L exceeded the best Holden/HSV could get out of a 5.0L some 10-12 years prior. One of the funniest moments I've had on the road is 2 young fools in an n/a Supra at the lights, with red P-plates on it. As they pulled up the passenger says "it's got an LPG sticker, it will be slow." I couldn't resist, and boy was he not happy. Next lights they were very quiet...... the LPG prejudice is still alive & well, even in a generation that was born when LPG injection systems were coming on-stream.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: