View Single Post
Old 15-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #152
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FG X XR6 Turbo - Limited edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX310 View Post
I'm pretty confident this car will happen, the next question is will they also do it in ute form?
It would be a fitting send off for the I6 and last falcon ute.
Unlike the 335 5.0 in the XR8, the 310 I6 has already been used in the FG F6 ute so there is no reason why they can't do a limited edition ute also.
Fingers crossed.
I wonder if they might just do something similar to what they did with the GTF.
When I look at the dragstrip results and GPS data from my own untuned XR6 T, plus the times that another untuned FG Turbo has achieved (measured by my GPS timing gear), and also stock results on "Ford XR6 Turbo.com". It's clear to me that these cars are already producing way over the quoted 270 kW/533 Nm when they are in overboost mode, just like the GT Miami gets a lot more than 335 kW.

When the FG Turbo's were released the XR8 was also upgraded (to 290 kW/520 Nm) and as I recall the journalists were very quick to comment on just how much faster the Turbo was . At the time Ford did mention the Turbo's overboost feature, but I don't recall any suggestions of just how much more power and torque it gave the engine.
So as it is, I'd say most people think of the Turbo as only having 270 kW.

Now if they did a similar upgrade to what they did with the GTF and hinted at what the engine could really achieve in overboost mode, perhaps a lot of people might sit up and take notice.
I can't see Ford wanting to spend too much on development or the cost of building the cars, perhaps it might come down to how many of the small Turbo units vs how many of the F6 Turbo units that they have in stock, or how much more it would cost to use the larger Turbo and upgraded F6 internal engine parts, plus hand building the engines.
Whatever the case though, the normal Turbo cars are a bit lighter and already very close to an F6 in straight line performance with the F6 just being a bit faster from around 5000 rpm to peak revs (I've collected quite a bit of F6 GPS data achieved under known conditions).

I think it wouldn't take much to make the normal Turbo clearly a bit faster than the F6 has been.

I guess whatever is done, the business case has to stand up. The above is just my idea and I might be wrong, but I have noted that when rumours of hotter car models start, there is often some truth in them, but the rumours are often a bit optomistic.

Last edited by 2242100; 15-01-2015 at 01:52 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote