Thread: SVT Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #28
REDDYZ

Default Re: SVT Upgrade

I was just about to finish the upgrade with CAI kit, the whole process took U-turn. Am back at the beginning. Long story short, relocated IMRC under battery tray.

In this process found some coolant leaks and oil leak. After a bit of investigation found issues with water pump which is only around 15000kms old and timing cover that leaks when car is parked on a slope.

Decided to replace all required stuff incl timing cover gasket, so that I don't have to touch my kat for next 100,000kms atleast.

To fix waterpump and flush the whole cooling system, removed:

UIM,
Injector railing,
whole waterpump housing,
all coolant hoses incl thermostat,

cleaned them by hand and flushed all hoses, radiator, oil cooler, engine one by one individually with running hot water. There is no trace of coolant in the system now. If there is anything thats water.

To replace timing cover gasket, removed:

coolant reservoir,
complete engine mound assembly,
power steering pump, (flushed complete PS system too)
drive blet, (found idler pulley and tensioner pulley worn)
Rocker covers,
wiring harness,
and stuck with Alternator.

Alternator is bolted onto timing cover instead of engine block. What a ***** job it is to undo alternator.

I pretty much stripped everything except heads. Am gonna replace cams with ST200 or ST220 whatever is compatible. These will keep valves open for long time. Obviously bigger injectors and uprated valve springs will go in. Replacing timing chain tensioners as well. So, replacing timing cover gasket, pulleys, thermostat, pcv valve, waterpump with housing, hoses and new belt. Power steering will be filled with full synthetic ATF 6000/DX 6 whatever.

After all this my kat is gonna be pretty much new.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote