View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
mohit

Some random oil change info

Oil Sump Drain Plug

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the sump drain plug is a 1/2" (12.7mm) bolt. The above oil change was done on my sister's 2006 LS Focus. I found it impossible to fit a 1/2" socket onto the sump bolt. A 1/2" spanner just got on but was a very tight fit. The 13mm socket i ended up using was a smidge too big for the bolt but got it off in the end no sweat.

Out of interest i was able to fit the 1/2" socket and spanner onto the sump drain plug of my mum's 2008 LT Focus without any issues.

Oil Filter Comparison

The Ford oil filter is a Motorcraft AFL4
The aftermarket one i used is a Ryco Z418

As you can see from this pic the Motorcraft filter is a bit taller than the Ryco one.

The only reason i can think of why the Motorcraft filter would be larger is due to the 15,000km oil change intervals. Since i change the oil every 7,500km this is a non issue for me.

The Ryco website only lists an oil filter for the LS Focus and not the LT Focus. I checked the filter on my mum's LT Focus and it's the same Motorcraft AFL4 as used on my sister's LS Focus. So a Ryco Z418 will fit the LT Focus as well. Not sure about the LV Focus but i presume it will be the same, at least for the 2.0L Duratec petrol engine.

Oil Filter Removal

If you are unable to remove the oil filter off your car by hand, use the filter wrench to loosen it. If the filter is still on too tight, hammer a flat blade screw driver into the filter body. Once securely in, use the screw driver handle to push/pull the filter anti-clockwise until its loose.

Last edited by mohit; 06-09-2009 at 06:09 PM.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote