View Single Post
Old 14-01-2022, 04:10 PM   #283
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 40 THOUSAND (hypothetical) SPONDOOLIES - for a used car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I prefer SEC/SEL though, if we're going smaller then might as well as get their coupe, if you want 4 doors then LWB, I don't feel the SE models fit in anywhere between.
I also prefer the long wheelbase too, but at its age, I think it'd be wiser to buy based on the condition of the car than engine/wheelbase combination. My interest in cars mainly lie in driving and admiring them, so I'm not too keen on getting a SEL that needs work, if an immaculate SE is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
For $40k I think you’d be better off going for the 560 SEL or SEC as opposed to the mid range and average performing 420.
One in WA which looks to be a good price. Probably the cheapest they’ll ever be now, and considering it’s priced a good $25-30k under the others on the market, is a lot of change to sort out any issues.
As above. Also, that example of the 560 looks somewhat more worn, and three things bother me: rust, lowering, and aftermarket sound system. Some of the woodgrain has also started to fade. If I were in the position to buy now, I wouldn't rule it out, but I'll just have to consider the time and money it'll cost to put it back to factory original.

Nice W116, though. My first experience with Mercedes-Benz was riding in the back seat of a W116 280 S, in Silbergrun metallic. I loved that colour. I'd also consider an immaculate W116 in that colour.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote