View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: AU or BA Wagon for backpacking around Oz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Magna’s are great, when they’re not leaking oil.
I much prefer the front end before the facelift of the one you posted. I had one about 10 years ago that I treated pretty badly and never had issues apart from the standard oil leak.
Agreed, the only issue i had with my VRX was a leaking rear rocker cover gasket which is a common thing and costs about $20 to replace both once every 100k if you can swing a spanner.
These can be an ongoing issue if owned by a tight **** who tries to tighten the bolts instead of replacing the gaskets and crushes the covers.
The timing belt/waterpump and housing is an easy swap too and again, only due every 100k's.

BA/F and VT/Y have common faults too which will cost just as much over the life of a high milage car.
I wouldn't head off around the country without doing a heat exchanger or bypass cooler for piece of mind in a high milage example.

The good thing about the TL Magna VR is the VRX output which sits between the AU and B series and will outrun both, IRS rear suspension and 5sp auto which is a good unit.
The BA/F will have a 4sp, live axle and leaf springs which unless you're towing is overkill for the task described.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote