View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #23
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: AU or BA Wagon for backpacking around Oz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesClues View Post
Hi

My in-laws want to buy a vehicle for driving around the coast including dirt roads. They don't feel safe in cab-over vans so considering a wagon then fitting it out with bed etc. I suggested the VT/VZ commodores etc (from memory they were mechanically solid and plenty of parts).
They however have looked into Magna's and Falcons. The vehicles in their price range (~$1500-$2k) have over 200k on the clock.
I own a BF and am quite disappointed with the suspension; front control arm bushes, diff bushes etc. Do the BA wagons share the same woes?
I thought perhaps a AU3 might be better? I thought they had more robust suspension?

What would you suggest?
I would avoid the Commodores at any expense, not in the running for those duties and reliability.

AU/BA/BF wagons are solid things, and can handle OZ really well.
The suspension systems on all 3 are essentially the same and very rugged.

The most significant difference between them is the engines and dashboard.
Both engines are solid workhorses, with the AU slightly easier for repair, but the B series slightly more powerful.

Dashboards are significantly different, AU being old school and less to go wrong, and B series much more modern but more to go wrong. Neither are considered to be unreliable though.

I personally would choose an AU because I prefer them over B series...
...However, age is catching up on them and even the newest AU is 16 years old and will most likely have high k's.
BF wagons were made until 2008(?) or thereabouts so you have more chance of getting something quite a bit newer and with less k's, so it may be a better choice for your in-laws.

Good luck...
2 users like this post: