View Single Post
Old 19-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Sydney to Brisbane (the long way)

Just wanted to drop a quick note on driving from Sydney to Brisbane without using highways. I'd been planning this for some time and it isn't as easy as it sounds, the exception I gave myself is that we're allowed to cross a highway just not drive upon them. It can be done and is extremely rewarding for those of us that like driving. Mrs and myself drove a new MX5 RF and it is a brilliant piece of kit, roof open for much of the way. Heated seats and heated air kept us comfortable. Travelling light is name of the game, just pack what you need.

I know this won't go down well, but we did cheat! We used a combination of Freeways/Tunnels/Motorways to make our way out of Sydney. Being an ex Sydney resident I could have used back roads to get onto Windsor Rd but it would have added a couple of hours.

Day 1:
Thursday morning 07:30 Alexandria to Windsor. Sydney Peak Hour, I'm genuinely surprised as we make good progress towards South Dowling St.

Harbour Tunnel, Warringah Freeway, Lane Cove Tunnel, M2 Motorway and exit onto Old Windsor Road. I have no idea how much the trip cost in toll charges, but it was worth it!

Old Windsor Road: I remember the road being a single lane each way, but hasn't it changed. The train line running adjacent looks awesome too.

Arrive at Windsor: Stop for breakfast. Refill water bottles.

Putty Rd: I haven't travelled on this road for many years, it is a great road. No rush as there is next to no traffic an easy 80-90km/hr. Great views as we cross the Great Dividing Range.

Stop at Grey Gum Cafe for an ice cream, refill water bottles and we're on our way again.

Singleton: Stop at a local bakery for lunch (we're determined to not use McDonalds).

Single to Dungog via Glendonbrook Rd and Bringleburra Rd. Did God have a hand in making these roads and the scenery. Absolutely brilliant, once again so little traffic it is a dream run with time to relax and take in the views.

Dungog, what a nice town! Local bakery for coffee and scones, stroll through the main street, quick stop at IGA for essential driving supplies (Tim Tams, Chicken Chips and other goodies).

Dungog to Gloucester. Absolutely blown away by the road and scenery. The Buckets Way has the odd rut and potholes but it is all part of the journey.

Overnight in Gloucester. It is steak night at the local pub, life is good!

Day 2:
Friday morning. Breakfast at the local Gloucester cafe, and refuel the car too.

Thunderbolts Way! We've driven the previous day on awesome roads and along comes Thunderbolt! This would have to be one of the best roads I've driven, IMO much better that Great Ocean Road, on par with Oxley Highway and Alpine Way too. From the roller coasters, sweeping bends, hairpins and then the very long climb up to the top of the range. This road has it all.

Lunch at Walcha, again a nice town. Then back onto Thunderbolts Way.

Heading towards Uralla and turn right to Gostwyck and Armidale, one of my tenants is to not use a highway thus avoiding New England Highway.

Armidale is huge, what more can I say.

Waterfall Way - We've travelled this road a few times and on this trip didn't top at the various waterfalls but for those who haven't done this drive it is highly recommend - glorious.

Dorrigo, a great town on top of the range, the views from Dorrigo National Park and Griffiths lookout are superb.

Waterfall Way into Bellingen - if you enjoy steep downhill runs and the smell of burning brakes then this road is for you!

Bellingen, our luck runs out. The yearly Bellingen music festival is on and no accomodation available. Dinner at the local pub. Decide that rules are mean to be broken and use the Pacific Highway to drive to Coffs Harbour. Note there are back roads via Urunga and Sawtell into Coffs Harbour but we didn't use these as it was getting late.

Overnight in Coffs Harbour.

Day 3:
Saturday Morning: Coffs Harbour to Grafton via Coramba Rd.

Lunch at Grafton. Refuel at Grafton.

Heading out of Grafton using Summerland Way we almost get to Lismore but Bruxner Highway impedes progress. We turn away towards Tatham, Coraki and into East Lismore. Using the suburban streets of Lismore we cross Bruxner Highway and then head north towards Nimbin.

Nimbin to Murwillumbah, at this point we are both questioning our sanity, you can only take in so much Aussie bushland at a time and we still have miles to go.

Murwillumbah, Natural Bridge, Advancetown and then back inland towards Canungra. Late afternoon tea at Canungra.

Canungra to Tamborine Mountain. Down to Waterford. Kingston Road, Logan Rd through to Stones Corner.

Stones Corner, Story Bridge and into Brisbane CBD.

So, there you have it Sydney to Brisbane without using a highway!

Next Sydney to Melbourne without using a highway - but this is not going to be easy.

Last edited by cheap; 19-07-2019 at 10:30 AM.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote
18 users like this post: