View Single Post
Old 13-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #302
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Camping Thread

The Girlfriend and I just got back 2 weeks ago from a 10 day trip to Ularu.
We went in her Kia Carnival, at first i was worried about the car not making it as we were doing around 7000kms. I put a cage on the roof rack to store most of the camping gear, stuff we use the least and the rest went into the back along with a double mattress, I tell you what, i didn't think much of the kia but once you take out all the seats which they just slide out, there is plenty of sleeping room in the back, i mean i'm 6foot4 and i could stretch out with no restictions. The car was reliable and did 12litres per 100kms loaded up.
We left Bunbury WA in the afternoon, going through Wagin, Ravensthorpe, Norseman, I could only get 3 hours sleep the first night as we were so excited so got up at 3am, I think we were somewhere between Lake King and Ravensthorpe so i decided to drive all night and most of next day, doing as many kms as we can the first few nights, because 3700kms to Ularu.
We did the Nullabour road and stopped at all the sight seeing places, I also wanted to do most of the kms at night while Cazzy slept so we could stop and sight see during the day, because this trip was to celebrate her 50th birthday and it would have been tight if i didn't rack up the kms at night. Her birthday was to fall on the thursday so i wanted to be comfortable at Ularu by then.
Went through Ceduna and Port Augusta, had to replace the low beam globes there as they both burnt out.
Again drove most of the night to Coober Pedy, spent the day there, what and unusual town .
That night camped near Erlanda roadhouse behind the HWY, and then carried on to Kings Canyon.. Wow..
After that we made it to Ularu, so we spent 2 days there looking around, relaxing.. Spent the night at the field of lights for Cazzy's Birthday lit the candles on her birthday cake while we were having a drink watching the sun go down over Ularu ..
Time to head back, so we came back the Great Central Road, the road was fine but when we got back we had to get the wheels balanced lol..
It was a great way to spend a holiday with Caz and celebrate her 50th.
We took $2200, most of the cost was fuel,but we ate well and could afford to pay for site seeing extras. We lived comfortably, camping on the side of the road apart from 2 nights at the Yulara caravan park.
But if i was to do that again, i'd definatly go in the Kia, we didn't even get sore bums or a blow out.

damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: