View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shockworks 6 pot alloy calliper upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockworks View Post
At this stage we will not be offering the floating disc option with the 6 pot brake upgrade.
Our test car with the 6 pot calipers and 355 floating disc has been on track for three months. At the Island we are achieving 270kph down the front straight and 252kph at Sandown and running 12-15 lap sessions with no brake fade or any other issues slowing the car at these speeds.
The floating assembly we supply is also used on the top level V8 racecars in Korea for the past 6 years with no cracking or stress related problems apart from normal wear.
We test all designs on a brake dyno at the Delphi corporation including the floating disc as part of our engineering requirements.
Cheers
Brett
Thanks for the reply Brett.

The reason I am harping on here is that I am genuinely interested in braking upgrades from the 4 pot brembos, and that includes a bigger thicker 2 piece disc with cooling vanes.

Your package certainly appears to meet a lot of my "checklist" requirements, but I am obviously interested in the engineering being up to our local demands here.

In terms of testing, nothing beats on road testing in Australian conditions using our heavy vehicles. What has been done by the Koreans in Korea using their v8s in racecars (which would be lighter) etc is not apples with apples in terms of usage in Australia using our heavy supercharged v8s.

And using a brake dyno does not equal real life usage high speed on a track/spirited remote canyon run, and some guys here drive their Miamis hard-and they will be the ones looking at a proper brake system upgrade with big discs that are thicker than average 32mm, with proper cooling vanes, and big robust calipers.

I was involved in a matter where a Major Korean tyre manufacturer of B double steer tyre maintained that the tyre had been roller tested in their roller shed in Korea and met Australian parameters, and worldwide requirements. Only thing was in our conditions of heat, corners, and rough roads in Northern NSW and Southern Queensland the tyres delaminated.

The tyres met all the bench tests- real world delaminated ...and only...in NSW/QLD...not in the Middle East (straight roads etc), nor USA, nor Europe, or Canada, nor Southern America, nor Korea. This front steer tyre delaminated and resulted in a catastrophic failure of a front steer tyre causing head on collision of 2 B doubles in NSW, both drivers dead.

So, with that I remain a touch sceptical about bench testing, which still is useful as part of a picture, but look forward to the real world testing in Australia (and try to pick some hot days) of your brakes in our heavy Supercharged Falcons.

And I think you should be commended for doing this - our Falcons desperately need a package comprising a disc thicker than 32mm, with proper cooling vanes, and a big robust caliper system- for a competitive price.

So please do not take my comments as negative, but rather from someone who is genuinely interested in upgrading their FGX XR8 with your package.

Will they come in red paint/black paint, what logos, and again what are the pads - who will make them and what compounds?

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 07-03-2017 at 12:07 PM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: