Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 16-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #407
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknbank View Post

Got the old clunker on the left for $20 as a source of spare parts for my machine on the right (will have it's 31st birthday in a couple of months). Thought I'd throw a cupful of petrol in it to see if it ran. Was more than a little surprised when it cranked up on the second pull of the starter!

So did a complete disassembly with a good degrease and cleaned everything up, including all the rusty bits. New plug, new throttle cable, changed the oil, cleaned out the rubbish in fuel tank, replaced the silly paper filter on the handlebar with an oil impregnated foam filter and housing, good second hand muffler with a new exhaust gasket, new blades and even splashed on a bit of paint on it where needed.

After reassembly and making some adjustments to mixture and idle screws on the carby, I've found that it actually runs smoother and quieter than the current Rover. The chassis also feels a lot tighter (as in the height adjustment mechanism and wheels). It obviously hasn't had the continuous use that the other machine has had over the last 30 odd years. All I need now is a pair of the lower handle bars that bolt to the deck. They're surprisingly hard to come by (Rover don't make them anymore). The others were cracked and I made the mistake of throwing them out. After that its right to go! So with two mowers to share the load, they should both be serviceable for some time to come.
What a nice pair you have there ..I love these style of mowers . I have a 26 year old Rover myself and she starts second pull every time ....literally not joking. I don't use it as much now but in 1993/94 when I bought it new she was a bit special . Didn't get the ball bearing wheels but the nylon bush ones are still pretty good after countless hours of cutting . She runs the hard revving 2 stroke Suzuki engine..bugger all rust in the deck too. As far as I'm concerned the Rovers are the AU's of the mower world in reliability terms at least . The old ones are great...so are these I'm guessing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuMSOMnlK4E

.Cheers ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 16-11-2019 at 02:57 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: