Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 31-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #3400
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Well I just had my first big stack on the new bicycle. Left shoulder so sore can barely move my arm. Will go to see doctor tomorrow if still the same.

Question to all you riders who do thousands and thousands of kilometers, are crashes something we need to put up with as they come with the terrain? I see professionals on TV crash so it is not just us novices.
I don't ride that much anymore due to family commitments and work, but I've done over 30000km in the last 6-7 years, and I've crashed twice. Hit a car once when it turned in front with no warning. Garmin said I was doing about 45kmh. All happened so fast I don't remember much but I was commuting home from work and I reckon my backpack saved me. Second time a cat ran out in front of me and I swerved... again doing about 45. This time I was lucky it was cold. I had about 4 layers on. Landed on my shoulder. Ruined my gilet, wore a hole through two tops and stretched my base layer. Arm warmers now have treat holes in them. VERY lucky I had gloves on (always wear gloves) as otherwise my hands would have been shredded. I landed on my bike and had very sore ribs for a while.

So to answer your question, I don't think it needs to be par for the course. I don't do mtb riding though so maybe it's more common in those circles. Most of the guys I rode with have been riding much longer than me and only a handful of incidents between them all over the years.

I'm nowhere near as fearless since crashing though. I used to really go for it on downhills but much more cautious now. Just more mindful of what 'could' happen.