View Single Post
Old 22-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia's most popular type of petrol - unleaded - could be phased out within two years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I remember back during the introduction phase the Howard government was looking at the cheapest production option in the belief it would supply the Australian public with the cheapest fuel at the bowser.

Howard believed Australians wouldn’t be prepared to pay for higher grade fuel and didn’t want the political backlash an increase in fuel cost would cause for his government.

Ever since that decision Australian fuel has been regarded and often reported as being low grade in comparison to much of the rest of the world.

I haven’t bothered to do a search to find any documentation to support my comment as I’m only relying on the memories of a demented and forgetful aging brain.
Howard didn't come in as PM until 1996.

Hawke & Keating ran from '83 to '96

Unleaded was mandated from 1/1/86, and was available in growing number of servos from mid '85 as the infrastructure was rolled out to meet the introduction.

The decision to offer 91 RON ULP as the base grade had nothing to do with Howard. Labor made those choices.

Other developed countries in 1986 had 95 RON as their base ULP fuel.
91 RON was considered a 3rd world fuel.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: