View Single Post
Old 29-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #218
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
NBN is game of speed to the telcos, if your getting the best speed and are happy then there isn’t any need to upgrade. It’s done on purpose, remember ADSL, ADSL 2, ADSL2 +. If you want faster you have to pay for it but they all know that they can’t deliver the maximum that they are selling you, so you have to upgrade. Take me for example, I pay for the 100Mbps plan but I only get 23 and during the so called “Netflix Hours” it drops off to 10. When they have the ability to give me 500Mbps, in reality I’ll get 125 and during peak times I’ll get 50 but I’ll have to upgrade and pay for speed that I already should be getting now on the current plan I pay for. I remember years ago there was an Intel core chip used in several CPUs in computers, they all had the ability to produce the top CPU speed but they were internally throttled at different levels so that if you wanted faster then you had to pay for the next one up which had different throttling. It’s all about money and marketing and the NBN is no different.
Umm not quite. Going by your figure of 23, it would be safe to assume you're on a FTTN connection (VDSL, uses the phone line from your premises to the pillar, then onto the NBN cabinet) and that you're a fair distance from said pillar. There is nothing the NBN mob or your ISP can do to bump up your speed to match what you're paying for.

However, your ISP can pay to have enough CVC (enough data on the back end) to keep you at 23 all day every day. By the sounds of it, they aren't buying enough data to avoid congestion at peak times.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote