View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 09:54 AM   #8
gumby123
LW Focus TDCI

Default Re: Steering Assist Malfunction

Had the same problem previously. For a while, I was able to use the same technique as Stefcio to get the PS going again, after starting.

Eventually the rack failed completely. You will find that what appears to be a corrupt VIN reported by the rack, is actually the car's VIN spelled backwards. Perhaps this is a safety mechanism to stop the rack interfacing with the rest of the car.

Ended getting a rack from a wreckers for just over $1k, and replaced it myself. Sounds expensive for a used rack, i guess they are just in demand because of problems like this.

The replacement rack did not appear to need any programming to work in my case.

I recollect that I did run some kind of calibration procedure using Forscan afterwards, not exactly sure what this would have done.

I was hoping to do the job without removing the subframe under the engine. Turned out I did remove the subframe. The reason being (diesel here) there was hardware/pipes related to the diesel DPF vaporiser is strapped on the inner side of the subframe. This hardware was difficult to detach whilst the subframe was in place.
gumby123 is offline   Reply With Quote