View Single Post
Old 30-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
@NZ XR6: Although you and I both have Mondeo wagons and like them, I heard that wagons only make up about 10% of sales of model types compaired to the hatch or sedan variations. So I dont think it would have improved Mondeo sales much if they brought the wagon out earlier.

The press has been good to Mondeo in Oz and its also won top awards too. So the blaim I see comes down to bad advertising from the start, availability and also the Mondeo being a bit too close to the Falcon. Remember that the Mondeo is Europes big family car, where as in Oz its classified a medium. I think Mondeo has suffered in finding a market.
The wagon has been sold for nearly 2 years in NZ, and based on what I see out there, the ratio between the liftback and the wagon would be about 2:1. There are very few 4 doors here.

As an aside, Ford do not discount the Mondeo here - maybe for large fleets, but I certainly couldn't get anything off the new price. There are none in the car rental fleets, and the only used ones I've seen so far have been ex-dealer vehicles. Despite this, they are selling well - no. 3 in the sales charts in August and well ahead of the Falcon. (Commodore and Corolla were 1 and 2).

As I've said in another post, maybe Ford really don't want the Mondeo to sell well in Oz?