View Single Post
Old 23-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
I was in an early rollout area, FTTP maybe 8 years ago, then moved to a new home 5 years ago FTTP.

I had the house wired for 10Gbps.
My Recommendations -

1) Do not rely on Home Wireless, the wireless router will become your bottleneck, Wire up your office and TV spots with at least Cat6A cable and use some good 1Gb switches if needed
2) Spend a bit extra and use a better "modem" than the one provided by your carrier. The Optus/Telstra ones are crud
3) make sure you have a decent tri/quad wifi router. There are some that step through frequencies if there is noise - most houses have wifi in my area, so there is a lot of competition (there is a huge science in choosing a router)
4) If you have to go Wireless, get a dedicated WIFI router for 1 or 2 critical devices, and let the kids devices use a common one
5) maybe you do not need a 100Mb package, someone could do the maths, but I have seen 4xfullHD appear to take less than 8Mb
6) I have had a 3 or 4 outages of 60 mins when I needed to be in conference - I live in a new suburb - plan a way to use a SIM for backup (I threw my Phone Sim in a USB adapter and put it on the router)
7) not all NBN carriers are equal - there is hardware that they need to operate to connect to NBN at "their end". So many "NBN" Issues are really carrier Issues - You need a good carrier - Optus was about the best last I heard - and Telstra was not second. Best to do some current research on this.
8) your carrier will likely bundle a home phone with the package - This will most likely be an IP phone, not suitable for health support monitoring as it will not work when the power is off to the router. You would need UPS on the NBN device AND UPS on your Router for emergency health and security usage - or a Packaged PSTN phone

SpeedTest today, I get 8, 96, 38 - fairly typical of my home, and a great result for a 100/40 connection
Thanks heaps for your comprehensive info EgoFG, very very helpful!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote