View Single Post
Old 20-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #1044
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Carsales review has complained about the new e-shifter not having a decent feel to it when using to change gears, it doesn't have the same feel as a cable operated shifter (obviously) - it's not pulling or pushing a shift linkage so there goes that 'feel' they're talking about

Makes you wonder given the box is now electronically controlled why they just didn't use a rotary dial shifter like the SA Focus has.

They're also ragging on the 2.0L TT 4 cylinder lacking low down torque and rougher in comparison to the V6 - well you don't need to be a genius to figure out the bigger engine with more cylinders is going to behave better

I love me some forced induction but the saying is always true, there's no replacement for displacement, especially when both have forced induction.
I don't know what they are talking about. There is still feel when you move between the slots. It's not much different from the normal gear shifters.

E-shifter adds some extra safety functions as well, automatically going into park when the engine is switched off for example, or when the door is opened while in P. Which is a bit annoying when you are trying to get one on a hoist and you open the door to check the hoist is centered, and you then need to creep forward a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
I asked this same question many pages back and I think I was told it had something to do with having buttons on the shifter or something.

Our escape has the rotary dial, but also has paddle shifters. From memory ranger has buttons on the shifter?? Don't quote me. Maybe bossxr8 can confirm.
Yeah it has + and - buttons on the side of the shifter. Pretty useless really.

They were going to use a rotary dial, and the early prototypes had them, but they binned it as no one likes them. I personally hate them with a passion. It's just not intuitive, and you have to think about where you are turning it. That's simply not the case with a conventional shifter handle.

It might be ok when you are used to it, but 99% of people who drive are probably used to the conventional shifter, and the change to a dial takes getting used to. Not what you want. You don't want people having to learn something to be able to drive it and then become second nature.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote