View Single Post
Old 19-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #30
6T
Now a turbo man - sort of

Default TE50T3 glitches

Had the manual TE about 5 months, from 58k to 63.5k. So far it has needed an exhaust leak sealed (warranty), replace a split leather gear lever dust seal (about $60), alternator failed (warranty eventually thanks to a top dealer), water pump leaked and cracked heater/bypass hoses replaced (about $280), crankshaft position sensor wire pulled out (due to rough work when the water pump was replaced by a supposed FPV mechanic - not the car's fault but bloody dangerous having an engine cut in busy traffic $#%&*!! Cost about $80 to get a mobile sparky), driver's side door lock failed (warranty), a weird shrieking noise at open road speeds traced to the windscreen top rubber vibrating (!) and fixed by squelching sealant under it (warranty).
A couple of things I haven't worried too much about yet are 1: the boot lid lower edge rubs on the rear "bumper", 2: the front passenger window is sticky (but improving with liquid wax and silicone applications when I wash the car), and 3: I notice a fair bit of drive-line shunt and clunk around town but I'm learning to drive around this.
This is my third AU V8 and the most troublesome. The other two were utes. The AU1 ute was built tight as a drum in the body but had a very rattly engine eventually replaced under warranty. The AU2 XR8 ute warped its front discs slightly but otherwise was completely trouble-free. I did 90k in the AU1, 80K in the AU2. Good cars, good-looking I reckon and reliable in the main. Hope I can get the TE up to scratch too!
6T is offline   Reply With Quote