View Single Post
Old 17-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: Swanny's Fundraising for MS 2018

Well, the ride is done and dusted, I rolled out with the first 50 riders at about 6.15am this morning, at the start it was an almost pleasant 12°, so I left the jacket behind. though after the ride started and headed towards the bay, the temps dropped down to 3°, and I missed my jacket.

Up till the 70km mark I was doing okay, but started flagging after that, because the last time I've ridden this distance was 12 months ago. At the 80km mark, I noticed something odd about my left knee...

Looked odd, but I thought it was just the knee joint leaking out to make a cyst... no bother!

So I pushed on, getting over the last 20km's of ups and downs, before getting my second wind to blast over the finish line!

I got to speak with a few people after the ride, one was a man a bit older than me wearing a leg brace coming from the medic's tent. He had his hand in a make-do cast, and was pushing an E-bike. I found out that he had MS, and couldn't raise his right leg, though he can put it down. Walking was difficult for him, but riding a bike was so much easier, so he rode the 25km distance. Unfortunately someone came down in front of him, and he had chance to avoid it, so went over the handlebars. A real battered and bruised trooper, and a pleasure to meet.

The second was a young woman with her hubby and two children, who was wearing her cycling clothes, and had trouble walking straight. I asked her how she went, and she told me, "I did it!! Last year I couldn't, I ran out of breath, but this year I rode 10 km!"

So, I was happy with my experience today, my body not so much, but it'll repair over the coming days.

She too, had MS, and a couple of young kids to look after, but her excitement was so warming. She told me to make sure I came again next year, because she appreciated everyone turning up for the ride.

Thanks again, to all who helped me raising funds!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: