Thread: Arcade heaven!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #32
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Arcade heaven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Would trade all the modern conveniences like wifi, smartphone, online shopping etc to have all of that back, those were the days. Simple, stable and built to last. All the modern overcomplicated tech has gotten so unreliable and with the built in redundancy where they don't last beyond the warranty period, it's all just a big rort..
Ive worked in IT for 30 years and I'm not sure I agree mate. Modern day electronics at the hardware level are easily as reliable as back then and are far more affordable nowadays. Back then, hard disks, crt monitors, memory chips were all common failures in my experience. Software wise, big issues back then was software had there own drivers for any peripherals, major PITA to get printers, plotters digitisers etc to work correctly for all apps.

Planned obsolescence where consumers seem the crave the latest and greatest is the big rort by manufactures but this applies to virtually all consumer items, including cars. For those of use who hang on to tech (myself included) as we see them as tools to do certain tasks as opposed to a must have accessory, we eventually have to upgrade as software etc no longer work on the older devices, Series I FG Falcon/Iphone owners using bluetooth will know what I mean
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote