View Single Post
Old 15-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default show us your boat

OK, before anyone states the obvious, I know it's a car forum! And yes I am a car nut, own two V8's and a modded 6 - all Fords thankyou very much!

But, I'm sure there are others like me who have a second passion apart from the love of Ford, and that's boats, fishing and water sports.

So here's mine. I spend more time and money on this than I do my cars, so yeh it's important to me.

Specs:

6.8m plus pod, 2.55m beam.
Alloy plate - 6mm hull, 4mm topsides, 4mm cabin and 6mm deck
450lt fuel capacity.
1kw sounder, chart plotter, VHF, fuel management computer etc
Hull weight 1300kg.
BMT weight 2900kg.

Had this one built in 2006 to replace a 5.9m plate boat. I originally fitted a 225 4 stroke, but a few months ago brought a 250HP 4 stroke. She's no rocket, 39 knots (about 7o odd kmph) but I'll fix that soon by fitting another one. That's right, I'm planning to fit another 250 - and get some serious speed. Will be dissappointed if I don't nail 50 knots plus. In a big fat boat, that would be nice. And then my wife won't keep signalling me to go faster when I'm towing her around on the skis.

For those that don't know what sort of economy you get from these big cube 4 strokes - 4500 rpm = 28 knots for approx 45lt per hour. WOT (5700 with a 21" big blader) she guzzles approx 85lt/h. This compares to 105lt per hour I used to use @ WOT in my last boat with a 225 HP EFI 2 stroke Yammy @ about 45 knots.

I use it often (around 175 - 200 hrs per yr) chasing game fish all around Tassie. I do most of my fishing over and beyond the continental shelf, we reckon it's getting deep when the sounder is showing 500m... Right up and down the East coast, as well as a couple of trips each year down the South coast. Ive visited Maatsyker Island late last year, and go out into the Southern Ocean to Pedra Branca several times per year as well. This is an extreme place, located some 20NM off the Tassie South Coast. 5m swell are the rule, not the exception down there. Sorts the men from the not so men.

Next week I'm off to Flinders island for 5 days with a good mate camping (in the boat),fishing and a bit of shooting. Can't wate. My mate actually built this one, and the last, and he does an awsome job, really knows his stuff and is a keen as me!!!!

Anyway, come on guys, let me see yours, tell me about it, and what you get up to in it.

Tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: