Thread: Oz Fuel Pumps
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
REDDYZ

Default Oz Fuel Pumps

Lot of Cougar owners are facing fuel pump issues with not much help around. Every time I spot a cougar at wreckers, first thing it will be missing is the fuel pump. That says it all. I have been doing some research on these pumps and found that fuel pump units fitted in Oz cougars are completely different to others. I am talking about 99-00 models. Not sure about 01-02 models. Some one has to post a pic or part number of 01-02 model pump.

It is very hard to find a new fuel pump unit (including sender unit, genuine or aftermarket). Best option is to replace just the pump inside the unit which is not going to any easy again as there are lot of sizes and types of pumps available. You have to take the unit out and separate the pump, measure it and find a match for that.

Small tip to all Cougar owners. ALWAYS MAINTAIN ABOVE 1/4 FUEL IN THE TANK. I don't know the technical reason behind it other than the fact that fuel in the tank will keep the pump cool. I have seen a Cougar in wreckers with a warning sticker on the instrument cluster to 'maintain above 1/4' printed on it. Out of curiosity pulled up the rear seats and found that the fuel pump has been repaired with a different return line fitted on the pump. My intention was actually to buy that one but its sort of impossible to get pump out of that car as you have to drop the fuel tank from underneath and that car is not accessible to lift up with a fork lift nor can be jacked up. Lot of labor involved and on the top its already repaired with a warning sticker to maintain 1/4 fuel in the tank all the time. I didn't want to spend on something that has was broken and has been partially repaired. In case of US cougars you can take pump out from inside the car without dropping the tank. However, on our Cougars if the the sender unit and pump doesn't have casing/shell around it, there is a possibility of getting the unit out without dropping the tank. See the pic below and you will know what am talking about.

You need special tool to undo the fuel lines from the pump, In case anyone has plans to take out by themselves. If the locking clip is broken, the whole fuel line/pipe between the fuel filter and the pump has to be replaced with a traditional hose and clamp. If return line is broken, probably the whole line from engine has to be replaced. Am not sure, I will have to look underneath the car to confirm it. This is how the pump would look from inside the car.

If anyone's Kat had issues like stalling, surging, starting problems, rough idling, poor acceleration, etc,. related to fuel pump, can you tell me, whether you generally refill before tank gets to 1/4 level or drive until fuel gets to lowest point? I usually refill once fuel indicator drops below 50% and I never had any issues. I have also noticed that who ever had surging problems overlooked fuel pressure regulator which can be a culprit. Also, there has to be some reason behind maintaining at least 1/4 tank of fuel. May be fitted with an after market pump which is not long enough to pick up fuel from the bottom of the tank. Only a guess.

In anyone ever happen to get their fuel pumps out, please take some pics of the pump and post here. That will help us to find suitable pump for the unit.

cheers

Yogi

Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote