View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default first Turbo 6 experience

My son has had an AU fairlane ghia for nearly 2 years. Bought it dirt cheap as expected for this model and has slowly fixed up the faults and scratches etc, nice rims the usual visual upgrades.

A month ago he advised me he has bought a visually rough, sleeper donor car. This donor car has a comprehensive TURBO conversion kit and cost the previous owner considerable cash, considering the car itself is worth nothing. (receipts provided for thousands of dollars)

I only saw the donor car for the first time last weekend as he has removed the proper fairlane engine for reconditioning and preparation before the turbo kit gets transferred into the good car.

So…...the donor car is still registered and not pulled apart yet, I suggested a ride around the block. My first experience in a turbo. The note from the 3” exhaust right through, was expectedly deeper, but not enough to attract attention, compared to many V8 cars out there.

The turbo comes in at 2,500. So under that is all as per any big 6 out there, but then the 2,500 threshold is past and suddenly the car lunges strongly and you get thrown into the seat hard. I can see that this would be a novelty to have that sort of grunt, but at 2500 in a big turbo 6 you are already at the state limit in a few seconds.

What do most turbo people do with these cars on day to day basis? How do they keep a licence for very long?
FG XR6 (son)

Last edited by jphanna; 08-11-2018 at 09:55 AM.
jphanna is online now   Reply With Quote