View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #23
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Making a 6 cyl cross flow sound like a v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu66et View Post
My understanding was the pre crossflow sounded better because of the siamese 3-4 cylinder port. Maybe if you ran a balance pipe between the 3-4 primaries on a crossflow you could replicate it.
You know, I think you are on to something there. The way the exhaust manifold really does not have an effective separation between 3 and 4, this would result in 2 and 4 going off in a seeming side by side 120 sequence as if 2 and 3 went in sequence, giving a rumble.

It is easier to find full sequential firing separation examples on a V8 with 180* headers vs conventionally grouped exhaust.

Keep in mind pipe cylinder displacement, pipe diameters, pulse separation in degrees, muffler types, resonator types, valve timing all play a role in overall sound quality or lack of.

Here is a V8 with 180* headers. This gives full 180* firing pulse separation for each bank and produces the symphonic sound:

Here is the typical V8 with 2 instances of non separation of firing sequences per bank firing. Nice rumble. No symphony.

Without knowing the exact specks of each engine I would guess the race car with the 180* headers is in a more modified state of tune. Just looking at the tiny exhaust on the Mustang tells me it doesn't have a whole lot under the hood, yet gives the sound of the tougher hombre.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: