View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #45
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Default Re: Euthanasia - your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
That's about all I can say on the matter.
I'm sorry for your loss, and the fact you missed the last two weeks.

My father passed very young of cancer when I was 4yo, his end was not pretty (testicular cancer with secondary metastasised cancers in all other organs, including the spine and brain/liver/kidneys). My younger brother and I were shielded totally from this, which is understandable and it possibly partially explains my mother's behaviour (long story) as she did it hard. My grandfather got to bury his son, his only child, then died of bowel cancer himself. Both of them were younger than myself, my father didn't make 25.

The familial history and possible links to my own long-term well-being freak me slightly when I stop long enough to dwell on it but I take each day as it comes

My mum's side of the family lived well into their 80s without anything special in the way of diets/exercise or even not smoking, my maternal grandfather made it to 82, and he smoked untipped rollies since he started work as a teen. Drank a shipload too, probably borderline alcoholic...he just dropped dead one morning in-between the time the nurse brought his meds and the time she got back with a tablet she'd missed...without a sound and without a struggle. My grandmother lived another 4-5 years and then had a series of small strokes, the last one killed her. I hopefully I have their genes

The fact the medical profession takes matters into its own hands at times is laudable but it is not legal, it's just done quietly. We shouldn't need to wait to the end for some professional to assist us over the edge when the end is coming.

The saints that work in the field of palliative care are pretty amazing people, a lot of empathy and understanding...we should all have some as well.

Last edited by Ratmick; 10-01-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: