View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #8
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Aussie six , three years on since they finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
They've even fitted one in a GTR would you believe , and Holdens and Jeeps and Patrols and and........The GTR one is incredibly well done that I saw .

I guess the real joy of the Barra is that getting incredible power gains is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string ' limits and so much redundancy built into it allows that .

I've also got a bit of a soft spot for the Intech SOHC beast as well , not to forget the even better VCT's also . My old girl in the AU ll has a pretty sweet old donk that just purrs away , idles as smooth as silk and has enough grunt still to make any overtaking duties or climbing big hills as easy as you like .

Ford Australia presented us with a nice run of decent straight sixes in my humble opinion .
There is still further development in the aftermarket for barras. I think i know of the r32 skyline you speak of with a barra in it. Its rwd and dressed to look like a gtr from memory, but its clean with a clean engine install, and makes stupid power. Even single over head cam ford 6's are still making their way, like barras, into anything with an engine bay long and tall enough. Theyre a physically large in an awkward way motor. Long and tall. I do like the 65 or 66 stang drag car with a turbo au sohc that used to be on gas. It ran some rather quick ¼ mile times. The potential for the later ford inline 6's has been explored for a while now and since the xr6 turbo was released in the ba, it shifted the norm from v8s being the only way to make a quick powerful car. So looking back to 2002, an ls1 powered ss commodore was making 5kw less them a ba turbo. Granted hsv were doing a bit better with the ls1 powered clubsport, but at 260kw, it matched the xr8 for power. I do beleive, well, hsv being the expensive fancy version, a clubby would be the pick over a ba xr8, but we are talking 6's. And the xr6 turbo was in direct competition with the ss commodore, and i think it changed a lot of the stigma. V8s werent the only go fast option anymore. So ill use my personal experience as an example. Bone stock 2008 6 speed bf ghia. I bought it in 2010. My brother turned down my offers of him taking it for a spin cause even though i thought it went good for a stock non turbo 6, he had v8s during the 90s and into the 2000s when he lost his licence for an extended period. So not long after i bought the ghia, he bought an hsv optioned 5L litre caprice. It was a 91 or 92. So yeah i took it for a spin and teased him asking if it was down 4 cylinders. So he finally drove my stock 4L zf6 ghia. Yes these days they deffinately are not a fast car. But compared to a 90s v8, they perform much better.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: