View Single Post
Old 14-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #26
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Default Re: battery light on

Pulled out the alternator yesterday. No identifiers I can see apart from a label from what I assume was the reconditioner? It looks the same as all my others (I've got 4 AY's and a couple of spare engines). So I assume it's the standard Mitsubishi 6G ? It looks like the diagrams in the workshop manual. Pic of mine below.

I had a spare alternator on a motor I picked up and fitted that. The battery warning light is now off so it seems that alternator was the problem.
However the replacement has a whine which can't be good. I heard the car running before I pulled the motor about a year ago and it wasn't there then that I remember. But in transit due to my carelessness radiator coolant leaked onto the alternator so not sure what damage that might have done? Maybe after I've run it for a while it might settle down?

Back to the damaged alternator. Most of the suggestions for repairing I am not familiar with. And I am not yet much of a mechanic but the purpose of all this is to learn to be better...if I can make the time;

- I don't have a rattle gun to get the pulley nut loose but was thinking of getting one. Not sure how big it would need to be for this job?

- Then a good iron to unpick the field coil wires tidily. I use a large, hot tip on an electronics soldering station and it is great - you want to melt the solder quickly without boiling everything around it. Solder sucker and desoldering braid are handy for cleanup before reassembly.
I have a couple of standard soldering irons that may not be big enough and almost no skill in using them.

- the brushes are 5󭅆3-ish mm and the slip rings are usually not much worn when the brushes are spent (12mm or shorter). The reg/brush-holder is designed for brush replacement. One aftermarket part is labelled AB5006, but they're not sourced locally - $25 or so posted. Denso brushes are a bit longer, common to find, do not have the retention hole but may be carefully shortened.
If I even got this far, where do I go for these parts?

- Front bearing is a common $7 unit if required, SRE bearing about $22.
Also where would should I source the bearings from?

Thanks again.

Last edited by asimplelife; 14-02-2019 at 10:12 AM.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote