View Single Post
Old 28-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #106
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Diesel Particulate Filter Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
Most DPF systems run another injector in the exhaust stream rear of the turbo to inject fuel into the DPF to create enough heat to actively regenerate. Higher engine loads, higher
Ambient heat and longer trips allow the DPF to passively regenerate but when these conditions can't be replicated a forced burn or active regeneration is necessary.

Diesel engine emission technology is not very well
Conveyed to the general public- we got it on trucks well before it was mainstream on cars in Australia and it's turned the industry on its head. Adblue is a better technology generally for diesels particularly where stop/start, high idle time and low average speed/short trips are concerned. BUT it also has its issues and is bloody expense to fix with regards to its dosing units and the Exhaust Gas Processor (EGP) which is comparatively priced to a DPF- so it's not like you don't have that cost to replace...

My wife's SQ5 will be the first and last diesel car well ever own. We've had not one problem with it but I don't ever want to either- nor whatever replaces it. Petrol all the way...
Jim,

Are DPF and EGR the same thing?
I was recently talking to a couple of Centurion drivers up at Kumarina and one guy was shaking after the EGR burn went haywire and shut down his truck with an 8m load coming the other way.
Apparently this is not unusual.
600hp Detroits IIRC.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote