View Single Post
Old 14-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #38
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Insuring a modified car?

Good write up Go Further.

In days gone by the RACV (or the equivalent NRMA in NSW) and the GIO had a virtual monopoly on car insurance. There was none of this space age start of art repair centre, no pretty girls offering coffee and any other extras and no office to plug your lap top into. They've had to do all that to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack who have come into this space offering cheaper insurance without the frills. They asked you when you would like the car repaired ?…silly question really – more pertinent is "where would you like your car repaired ?", rather than when. Most insurers offer a rental car if you tick the box but it doesn't come free , the premium rises accordingly.

What's important to me is choice of repairer, covers listed mods, and allows for a cheaper premium for lower kms travelled per annum. My BA GT is lucky to do 5,000 kms a year (and will be less now that I have the Mustang) and the Mustang about 8,000kms based on the monthly average since buying it, so I need an insurer who recognises usage - the big players still don't . For both my cars Ryno ticks all those boxes for me..

A few years ago my wife backed her BMW out of the garage into my FPV GT. Advised Ryno, claim done over the phone, went to my repairer, damaged assessed and car fixed within a week. Only a minor scrape but around $2,000 worth of damage.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: