View Single Post
Old 22-07-2018, 04:44 AM   #201
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I am sick of govmints treating us like idiots and banning stuff that has no effect except to give them the high moral ground.

It is all about gesture politics that means nothing, achieves nothing and I have yet to meet someone who agrees that we should keep using single use plastic bags.

The reason I suspect is that people no longer think about what is happening. Add in a media that also has an agenda and we never have a proper debate on anything anymore where we exchange facts and logic to arrive at some point where all concerns are out in the open.

Are there any disadvantages in banning single use plastic bags?

Well how about this one ...

People will die.

Mention that to people and they just shrug.

That's right, they shrug.

Does this not mean that people care more about the environment and animals that they do about their fellow human beings.

A 2012 University of Pennsylvania study found San Francisco’s 2007 plastic bag ban killed people because reusable bags increased shoppers’ exposure to harmful bacteria that can infest them. “The San Francisco ban led to, conservatively, 5.4 annual additional deaths,” the authors concluded.

Don't believe me?

Here is the study
http://www.austincontrarian.com/file...-id2196481.pdf
Media Watch covered this recently.
That study wasn't peer reviewed and made unproven links to a spike in infections in one area.

My take is that this ban is a start and that's a good thing.
Yes I think once this change has been in place a while it'll lead to further legislation that'll result in less plastic packaging.
My family has been shopping with multiuse bags or boxes for probably 10 plus years now and it isn't that hard to do.
Shops like Aldi encourage this and it works.
Imho fear of change and a few shockjocks like Jones, Bolt and co are driving what I believe is the illogical resistance to this.

Anything that can reduce or limit the amount of microplastic in the environment has my support.
3 users like this post: