View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 11:32 PM   #39
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Good value second hand cars - COVID times, Falcon/Commodore tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Got two mates with Land Rovers, they are great when they are going, I reckon they spend about 66.6% of their time at the mechanics. One mate calculated its cost him $24500 all up in 10 years for maintenance
There's two types of euro owners. Those with newer ones that like throwing away money (new or near new, and buying for the badge and can't DIY), or those that want a DIY classic that isn't stupid amounts of aussie tax.

Yeah, I'm not interested in paying dumb money for a falcon, kingswood, commo or toyota, patrol etc; neither would I take a modern euro that's semi broken or cheap.
But older ones were fine and because of opinions like yours, cheap in comparison.

E:
my 2005 BA ute cost me $15500 (in 2010) and I've had to rebuild trans ($4k), it has electrical gremlins, needs a respray, did headliner some rubber, gaskets brakes.
My 1990 e34 cost me $2400 (in 2017), I did headliner and some rubber, hoses, gaskets, susp and brakes, (about $4k). No electrical gremlins, can still buy most parts, doesn't need a respray! Probably worth more than the falcon these days as well.

Don't mean to bite your head off., but the conversation ended up talking about a 2001 merc. While there's some iconic mercs around the owners aren't really in the diy category and neither were the landrovers you mentioned.
I first liked maxdas, then fords, then bmws, going back into the hey days where they'd be running around bathurst (falcons, rx3s, bmws etc)

Last edited by oldel; 08-05-2022 at 11:53 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote