View Single Post
Old 14-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
thearrow

Default Re: Bought a Cougar Eibach

WHERE DO I START ????

Assuming that you understand you have purchased a 10 year old car then you need to understand you will have problems as will any front wheel drive car that is more than ten years old.

With my Eibach most of the problems have been with standard wear and tear but I have to say there has been a BIG improvement since I have replaced nearly all the suspension bushings this has made the car a whole lot smoother and much more pleasant to drive.

The duratec V6 is virtually bullet proof but never the less a hi-tech engine for it's time and vacuum leaks are it's only real weakness. The engine was designed by Porche (Fraud bought the technology and then got Cosworth to design the heads for it) and no need to worry about timing belts cos they used chain.

The gearbox is actually a Mazda box and is another story but as long as you keeep it serviced and it hasn't had a hard life it should be OK.

Things to watch out for though are....the wheels cracking, regular wheel alignments, learning to take driveways and dips in the road sideways, the strut bearings, get a gearbox service, the ABS module, any vacuum leaks, window switches, engine mounts, join the NRMA.

Find yourself a good mechanic and get all your parts wherever possible from here transit time from the US is about 5 days...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...0&model=COUGAR

remembering that our cars were Mercury Cougars in the USA and their drivers side is our passenger side.

Apart from that you have a unique vehicle one of only 100 ever released in Australia and she will get a lot of people asking her about her car and as long as she looks after it the car will look after her.

Post some pics when you can...

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote