View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: AU2 / XR Front Bar Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
Should've only affected the compressor line to condenser, and condenser to orifice tube, which will most likely be blocked - wasn't the problem to start off with ?
The condenser you call fill with A/C flushing fluid and rinse out, then gently run some compressed air through it.
I wish it were that simple, the orifice tube (OEX product) was six months old at failure with a full charge done at replacement (not that it was old or blocked then, just unknown to me and I'd assumed the low gas level was yet another side-outcome of some really poor repairs by a bodyshop on Sydney's Northern Beaches). Diagnosis was compressor seal leaked, oil lost progressively and compressor lunched itself including destruction of the front bearing, boiling the clutch coil plastic and melting/softening the serpentine belt to failure.

Even the evap had fine grey metal dust through it, obviously finer than the orifice; I bought a new one but elected to flush the old as it was 8 fins/inch whereas the aftermarket was 5 fins/inch. Took three solvent flushes with standing time and agitation inbetween, to come clean. External corrosion wasn't bad at all on the evap.

...Think I'll have to get a subscription membership here, too many situations would benefit from images and the default limit is quite low.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote