View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Takata Airbag Recall

Not sure how long ago you made enquiries before selling your vehicle, but originally when all this air bag issue came to arise with the Takata Alpha air bags (the one with known shrapnel issues) there was no Australian sold Ford vehicle fitted with them, just other manufacturers. Then the government decides it would mandate any vehicle fitted any Takata air bag by any manufacturer to be replaced. That's when the Courier/Ranger/Econovan/Mondeo's got added to the list. I do believe there is nothing actually wrong with the air bags fitted to these vehicles as they are not the alpha type, but the government wanted them changed regardless.

In saying that I have seen times where the CRC information has been incorrect for what ever reason. I think that Ford released the fact that Fords have been added to the recall back in March this year, and Mondeo coming on line late last month, so they might have got the information mixed up. It is also possible that your particular VIN does not actually need the air bag inflator replaced but still need it checked for confirmation as its certain vehicles built in the affected date range.

Great you let the next owner know, that's a good thing to do. Hopefully it all works out and maybe the timing of when the air bags originally did not require replacement to when the govt mandated all air bags be replaced that were made by Takata was the reason for the incorrect communication. But without the finer details, it would be hard to confirm.

Hoping that is the reason for the miscommunication, otherwise Ford would have to investigate your situation.

Anyhow. Hope it all works out in the end.
GTLEGEND is online now   Reply With Quote